Monday, December 27, 2010

Celebrating Your Company's Anniversary

We have a client who recently celebrated 15 years in business. Not that it matters, but 15 years is the average lifespan of a woodchuck. Being around for 15 years can be a big deal for small businesses and woodchucks.

It's important that your customers know about your longevity. People like doing business with companies that have been around for awhile. It makes them confident you know what you're doing. It's that competency thing you've heard so much about.

Sometimes, people are shy about getting older. My mother said her birthday is "just another day." When I'm 95, I'm going to celebrate every day as if it's my birthday. I'm going to let everyone know that I've made it another day, and I'm not going to be shy about it. Party like a rock star.

You shouldn't be shy about celebrating your business anniversary. It's an important event and will cost nowhere near what it costs to marry off your daughter. Given all the goodwill marketing you will receive, getting out the word is extremely inexpensive. We all like inexpensive.

Start with anniversary labels. Stock labels have been around for years. Stock labels look like stock labels. If you take marketing seriously, spend a few more pennies and get some custom made. Stick them on everything. Next year, they will be as passe as today's television network schedules.

How about some thank you cards for loyal customers? People like thank you cards, and it's becoming a lost art. Thank you for being with us over the long haul. Here's a 10% discount for being loyal. We need you, and I hope you need us. It's a partnership we'd like to continue in the future. It's a better deal than Conan O'Brien got from NBC.

Testimonials. Nothing is better than testimonials. Print a simple brochure you can stuff into every envelope you mail. "A good belt keeps your pants up, and there's no better place to buy a belt than Ernie's Belt Shop." I'm a printer. A few years ago, I did a testimonial for a paper company. I got four orders from it. Testimonials work two ways. It's a gimme.

There are so many more ideas. We can work together to see what fits you. Give me a call. Shoot me an email...and happy anniversary.

No comments:

Post a Comment